Twist in Chair Pose (Hold for 30 seconds. Twist for 30 seconds)
By twisting in this pose you are toning your waistline and your stomach. You are also detoxing your colon by squeezing and ringing out the abdominal wall.
Do it Right:
- Feet together. Hands in Prayer. Inhale arms up. Sit down on the chair, look down, check you can see your toes, so knees back more. Knees and feet together
- Look up at your thumbs, thighs parallel.
- Chest up, belly in, weight back more. Stretch up and try to touch the ceiling.
- Breathe. Come down.
- Pelvis neutral so tuck your tailbone under, stomach muscles tight, chest up more, stretch up. Lock your elbows, arms back with the ears, sit down, stretch up.
- Inhale stand up, hands in Prayer at the chest.
- Inhale and exhale sit down, same way, hips back, knees together.
- If you are new or stiff you can just use the outside of your left wrist against your right knee and the arm straight, right hand on your sacrum and you gently twist.
- Turn to the right, lengthen the front of your body and hook your left elbow over your right knee.
- Keep your left knee back, level with your right knee. Hips stay square.
- Gently turn and twist your body to the right, from coccyx to neck.
- Hands, wrists and elbows all in one straight line with each other, hands 5” in front of your chest.
- Spine straight, shoulders down.
- Push with your right hand against your left hand to help you twist and get your hands in front of the centre of your chest.
- Hips back, lengthen the front of your body, no rounding in your lower back.
- Left knee back, hips level. Twist. Sit down, twist.
- Inhale, look forward, untwist, stand up. Hands in prayer at the chest
Legs, thighs, bum
This triangular-shaped pose will not only tone the insides of your thighs, it will slim and trim your waistline and open your chest and shoulders.
Do it Right:
- Inhale arms over the head and step to the right, 4ft step, arms parallel.
- Push your hips forward and lean back to open your chest and shoulders. Tailbone under, belly in.
- Turn your right foot out parallel to the edge of your mat, left foot turned in 45 degrees.
- Left hip a little down and forward.
- Bend your right knee and come down until your thigh is parallel to the floor and your knee is exactly over the ankle. Left leg straight. Left inner ankle lifted.
- Spine is vertical, so lean a little to your left by extending out through your left arm.
- Take a big breath and move your arms to bring your right elbow inside your right knee, no lower, left arm up vertical.
- Do not touch the floor, no weight on the right fingertips.
- Gently push your right knee back with your elbow.
- If you are new place your right elbow over the thigh at the knee and support your weight in the arm for a few lessons.
- Left arm stretches up to the sky and gently turn and twist your spine and turn your head to a comfortable position and try to bring your chin to the shoulder.
- Look at your left thumb. If you neck isn’t comfortable just look straight ahead and keep the back of your neck long.
- Tailbone under, belly in, open chest and stretch up. Sit down more, stretch up.
- Now turn and twist your spine like spine twist and drop your left hip a little down and forward to create a corkscrew effect.
- Stretch your arms in opposite directions.
- Sit down and eventually place your right fingers in between your right big toe and 2nd toe, no weight on the right fingertips.
- Stretch your arms in opposite directions to open your shoulders.
- Lean back, hips forward, sit down more.
- Pull your belly in.
- Release, come up to centre, straighten your right leg, arms parallel.
Plank (30 seconds)
Do this pose every morning and evening for stronger arms. If you want to some additional tricep toning bend your elbows a couple of inches and take your weight forward.
Do it Right:
- Come to all fours. Hands shoulder width apart. Spread your fingers wide, wrist crease parallel with the mirror, middle finger facing forward, thumb spread wide, to strengthen your fingers and wrists. Press weight into your fingers.
- Step legs back hip width apart up on the toes. Straighten the legs.
- Pull your belly in, legs tight. Tailbone slightly under. Hips in the centre so you are in a straight line.
- Shoulders down your back, press down through your shoulders and take them away from your ears. Chest is open and upper back straight not rounded.
- Pull your belly in and up towards your spine.
- Hold another 15 seconds, strengthening your core, back, hands arms and shoulders.
Super Slow Push Up
- If you can, leave your legs locked.
- If you need to, bring your knees to the floor and cross your ankles, until you are strong enough to keep them straight.
- Keep your shoulders down and in the centre, chest open, upper back wide.
- When you come down your elbows are going to touch your waist.
- Take the weight forward, so your wrists are directly under your elbows, all 5 fingers wide.
- Bend your elbows and slowly lower the body down to the count of 6 very slowly and put your body down on the floor.
- Now the hard part, inhale and slowly, hips first, lift yourself back up for 6, back up to Plank.
Dolphin leg raise (10 seconds each leg)
This is a great pose to banish any excess fat on your arms and shoulders, as a bonus, this yoga move also detoxes the colon and will ensure you have a pert Summer bum.
Do it Right:
Dolphin with leg raise
- Kneel on all fours. Bend elbows on the floor under your shoulders. Grab your elbows to ensure they are the right width apart. Put your hands on the floor in front of you, hands spread wide, thumbs 4” inches apart.
- Distribute the weight all through your forearms and hands.
- Straighten legs so hips are up in air. Feet shoulder width apart.
- Look at the floor. Spine straight, belly in.
- Shoulders exactly above your elbows, not forward of them, so push the floor towards the mirror to get your shoulders back.
- To learn the correct alignment for your spine, bend your knees in the pose.
- Come onto the balls of your feet, bringing your shins parallel to the mat.
- Continue lifting your sit bones high. Then slowly straighten your legs.
- If your upper back rounds when you straighten your legs, bend them again
- until you gain enough flexibility in your spine to keep it long and straight.
- Keep neck long and relaxed.
- Weight is evenly distributed across elbows, forearms, wrists, hands and fingers.
- Hips up, belly in. Hold it.
- Great for upper body strength and for the circulation
Dolphin Leg Raise.
- Good for arms, upper body, buttocks and core strength.
- Lift your right leg up for 10, extend through the leg to the foot, lock your knee, leg up. Roll the hip down.
- Release, other leg for 10, lock the knee, roll the hip down, hips parallel.
Cross Cross Sit-Up
This up-and-down movement slims your waist and flattens and tones your transverse abs (located under your oblique muscles to create stability for your spine) to create an invisible girdle effect which stimulates digestion and elimination.
Do it Right:
- Exhale crunch up
- Left elbow to right knee, extend left leg,
- Hold for 10
- Inhale lie down elbows touch the floor, knees together
- Exhale crunch up, right elbow towards left knee, extend right leg,
- Hold for 10
- Inhale lie down, elbows touch floor knees together.
- Repeat one more set.
- To make it harder take the bent knee a bit further away.
- Ensure your abs are doing the twisting, not your neck and shoulders. Chin up off the throat.
- Keep your lower spine pressed into the floor
- Easier, leg doesn’t drop very low.
- Harder, drop the leg lower.
- Relax with legs in Table Top.
- Feet flat on the floor in Table Top. Push hips to sky to stretch abs. Use your hands on your hips to help you push up.
- It is important to stretch the muscles you have worked, to create a great 6 pack!