When I first became vegan, I feared that pesto would never be the same without Parmesan, but I can truly, honestly say I do not miss it. There is so much flavour from the herbs, nuts and salt that you don’t even notice the lack of cheese. Trust me! This is one of those recipes that I never, ever measure and very rarely make the same twice. I just chuck everything in the food processor and blend it until I am happy with the consistency.
- Remove the large stalks from the basil and parsley and roughly chop the leaves and finer stalks.
- Place them in a food processor.
- Roughly chop the garlic and add to the food processor along with the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Blend until well combined.
- I like a thick pesto. If you would like a more runny pesto, add more oil.
- Add the nuts and blend until finely chopped.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight jar until ready to use. It will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Extract from Vegan Goodness by Jessica Prescott (Hardie Grant, £15).