‘Coconut milk, coconut oil and avocado, all in a tiramisù, excuse me?’ I hear you say. But do not fear! These amazingly versatile dairy-free substitutes create velvety, light, well-flavoured layers of sublime mousse. Everything just melts together to create a cloud-like light and creamy coffee and vanilla ‘pick-me-up’ pudding.
The night before:
- Put the two cans of coconut milk in the fridge for the vanilla cream.
- Open the refrigerated cans of coconut milk and scrape off the thicker part of the milk.
- You need 450 g thick set milk for the vanilla cream.
- Set aside in the fridge until needed.
- Reserve the rest of the coconut milk for the coffee mousse.
To make the coffee mousse:
- Combine the ground coffee and boiling water and set aside.
- Place 150 ml of coconut milk into a blender.
- Place the rest of the mousse ingredients, except the coffee and coconut oil, in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the blender.
- Strain the coffee, measure out 60 ml and add to the blender, blending until completely smooth.
- Spoon out 55 g of the coffee mousse into each glass and refrigerate.
To make the vanilla cream:
- Take the set coconut milk and whip until smooth and thick using a hand-held whisk or free-standing mixer.
- Add the coconut nectar or honey and vanilla and whisk once more.
- Remove the glasses from the fridge and spoon 40 g of vanilla cream over each layer of coffee mousse.
- Divide the rest of the coffee mousse over the first layer of vanilla cream, then top with a final layer of cream according to the size of your glasses.
- Be careful as you layer it as the layers will be soft.
- Refrigerate until needed, grate chocolate over the top, serve with any leftover cream and enjoy.
Extract from Clean Cakes by Henrietta Inman (Jacqui Small, £20)
Main image by Lisa Linder