The macrobiotic diet is about balance. I have since become very attached to this particular approach to food, and it’s something I try to incorporate into my everyday life. So here for you is my little take on a simple macrobiotic bowl to keep your yin and yang in balance.
- Bring 250 ml (1 cup) water to the boil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the brown rice.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the rice for 10–15 minutes until tender. Strain the rice and transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the tamari, miso paste and sesame seeds and place the rice in the centre of your serving bowl. (You will place all the other ingredients in separate piles in a circle around the rice.)
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel strands of the carrot and neatly place to one side of the rice in the bowl.
- Place the chickpeas and sauerkraut in separate piles around the rice.
- Rub the kale gently to soften it and then also place it in the bowl.
- Gently steam the bok choy with the kelp powder sprinkled on top for 1 minute and then place it in the bowl.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces and also place it in the bowl.
- Top the rice with the nori and serve. Chew slowly and mindfully and enjoy.
Extract taken from Kenko Kitchen.
Photography by Elisa Watson.