These make for a great guilt free dessert and are a lovely balance of tart and sweet. They are also super delicious on top of my spelt muesli with a dollop of Greek yoghurt!
- Place the water, lemon zest, vanilla bean and rice malt syrup into a medium sized pot.
- Bring to the boil and let it bubble away on high heat for 10 minutes. This will help the vanilla and lemon begin to release their flavour.
- Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and add the plums, arranging them cut side down in the pot.
- Simmer gently for 15 minutes, then turn over using a spoon, to cut-side up. Simmer on low for another 15 minutes.
- At this point taste the syrup to make sure you are happy with the flavour. Rice malt syrup is around 1/3 less sweet than sugar so you may need to add a little more depending on your tastebuds.
- Serve immediately with yoghurt, or refrigerate once cool.
Extract taken from Lush Loves by Gemma Lush.
Photography by Andy Stavert.