These brownies have consistently been the most popular recipe on my blog. They’ve had more than double the amount of hits than the next most popular recipe and I’ve seen thousands of my readers’ photographs of them on Instagram! There’s a good reason for all this love, though – the brownies are divine. I know it sounds strange to put vegetables into sweet dishes, but sweet potatoes taste more like dessert anyway and they create the gooiest consistency!
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C).
- Peel the sweet potatoes. Cut them into chunks and place into a steamer for about 20 minutes, until they become really soft.
- Once they are perfectly soft and beginning to fall apart, remove them and add them to a food processor with the pitted dates. Blend until a smooth, creamy mix forms.
- Put the remaining ingredients into a bowl, before mixing in the sweet potato and date combination. Stir well.
- Place the mix into a lined baking dish and cook for about 20–30 minutes, until you can pierce the brownie cake with a fork and bring it out dry.
- Remove the tray and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. This is really important, as the brownies need this time to stick together!
Extract from Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward (Yellow Kite, £20)