The avocado and coconut milk together make the dessert insanely creamy, while the lime gives it a fantastically fresh flavour and the maple syrup adds some delicious sweetness. Don’t worry, you can’t taste the avocado in it at all! One of my favourite puddings.
For the base
- Start by making the base. Place the almonds into a food processor and blend for a minute or so until they break down into pieces (not as smooth as a flour though).
- Add the dates to the food processor with the coconut oil and blend again, until the dates have all been crushed and the mix is sticky.
- Use a spatula to press the almond and date mix firmly into a 20–25cm cake tin – the base should be about 2–3cm thick and very compact. Leave the base to one side while you make the middle.
For the middle
- Scoop the flesh out of the avocados, discarding the stones, and place all the flesh into your food processor.
- Add in the lime juice, maple syrup and coconut milk and blend until the mix is totally smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mix onto the base and place the cake tin in the freezer to set for about an hour and a half – you want it to be firm but not frozen!
- Once you’re ready to serve, grate the zest of the remaining lime over the top of the pie.
Extract from Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward (Yellow Kite, £20)