This tray-baked breakfast looks invitingly like a batch of flapjacks. You can either enjoy a square or slice plain, as you would a flapjack, or top it with unsweetened almond or coconut milk to make it more moist and gooey. I serve it for breakfast just as often as I serve it for an afternoon snack or post-dinner treat.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
- Line a shallow 20cm square baking tin or a 23cm round tin with baking parchment then lightly brush the paper with coconut oil.
- Mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 30 minutes or until the middle is firm.
- Allow to cool in the tin.
- Once cooled, lift out the tin using the paper.
- Cut into portions and serve – you can either slice it like a pie or use cookie cutters to make fun shapes.
Extract from Keep it Real by Calgary Avansino (Yellow Kite, £17)
Main image by Kristin Perers